First Step: Let us know you would like to learn more about BSVM by filling out a Contact Form here on our website. Upon receipt of the form, BSVM staff will be in touch about scheduling a Preliminary Discussion. The Preliminary Discussion is a time to for you to share about yourself and why you think Bon Secours Volunteer Ministry might be a good fit for you. This discussion is also a time for you to ask questions about the program and about the application process.
Second Step: Reserve your spot in an application round. BSVM has a limited number of application slots during each round. Fill out an Application Reservation Form to secure your spot two weeks before mailing your application.
Third Step: Complete your application. In addition to completing the Contact Form and the Preliminary Discussion (which may take place after your application is completed), a full application includes:
- Signed Application Form
- Your Résumé
- Your Essay
- 3 References Forms (employer, mentor, peer)
- Employer: an individual who has supervised you in a paid position for at least six months.
- Mentor: an individual who knows you well and can speak to your personal values and character as well as your experiences with service. Examples of a mentor include an adviser, a past volunteer coordinator, a youth minister, a campus minister, a pastor, or a professor.
- Peer: an individual (someone other than a relative or significant other) with whom you have lived for at least a year.
- Official transcript (this may be mailed separately by your institution)
Applications will be reviewed on the 15th of each month between January and April. Please see below for the deadline schedule. Applications will be reviewed in the order that they are received; early applicants have the broadest range of ministry site placement options available to them.
January 15 – Round 1 – Early Submission
February 15 – Round 2
March 15 – Round 3
April 15 – Late Submissions Deadline
We accept applications that are postmarked by these dates.
After April 15, please reach out to us at email@example.com to see if we are still accepting applications.
Application Forms to Download:
BSVM App 2020-2021 Service Year
Fourth Step: The Interview Process. Typically, we interview candidates two or three times before the selection committee meets. Each interview takes about an hour. We contact you about our decision after the selection committee meets. Depending on the number of applicants and ease of scheduling interviews, it can take up to a month to move through the interview process.